Saturday, April 4, 2015

We Thank You For Your Service

When a Salute is not enough…
In honor of our Veterans
Not long ago, I stopped at a fast food establishment for lunch with my husband. As I mindlessly headed toward the door, I was stopped in my tracks. There at the head of a parking space was a sign which was reserved for Military Purple Heart Recipients.
It wasn’t the simple purple and white design of the sign that touched me. It was the thought behind the sign. Someone cared enough to honor our veterans in this simple way. I know that there are other similar signs which pay tribute to combat wounded veterans also.
In some of the townships near where I work & live, some communities are starting to pay recognition to their Vets by installing small banners with pictures of past and current military service men and women upon their telephone poles.
I don’t know about you, but I love this idea. It is a simple idea with a big sentiment behind it. We all know someone in our family or a friend who have served our country in the military.
In fact, our son is currently serving as a U.S. Marine Embassy Guard in Rome. In this day and age of Isis and terrorism, I find comfort in knowing that there are selfless men and women who risk their lives to protect mine.
Though a dedicated parking spot is only a small gesture to honor those who have sacrificed so much for all of us, at least it is an unexpected nod of thanks. I only hope that the public at large will not dishonor those veterans who are truly deserving of that spot, by parking in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment